Thursday, July 10, 2014

Floating Mosque of Tanjung Bunga

Traveling and fasting during Ramadan is always a challenge. But with Ramadan falling during the summer months these past few years I've had no choice but to make it work. Though Malaysia is not an Islamic State (it's a constitutional monarchy-royal family plus elected officials), the majority (60%) of Malaysians are Muslim, making it relatively easy to fast here. Well not easy but rather there are many accommodations for the fasting ones. My hotel for example is open for suhoor (the pre-dawn/pre fasting meal). So I just head down to the hotel restaurant and have a buffet at hand. I don't really want to eat porridge, noodles or chicken rendang at 4:30am but do appreciate the offerings. I usually end up with toast, watermelon, coffee and at least six glasses of water. For iftaar, there are several restaurants and hawker stands in the area. While we've had some delicious food here I do miss the Ramadan foods of my family, and especially all the delicious food prepared by my mom. Thank you Ami! Even more I miss the shared experience of celebrating with family and loved ones.  I'm really fortunate, however, that there is an amazing masjid nearby, the Floating mosque. Built in 2004, it is partially on land and partially over water. It is stunning and peaceful and simply divine. The waves crash nearby and that gentle, cool breeze moves through all the doors and windows making it a transcendental experience on many levels. The locals there have been especially kind, one woman even offering me a delicious bag of dates (which have been hard to come by in Penang). I hope Ipoh will have something half as nice...







2 comments:

  1. Love these pictures - looks like a BEAUTIFUL mosque! Really enjoying the commentaries too and loved the pictures of the school itself. Can you get someone to take pictures of you while you're doing your model lessons? I'd love to see that too! And food pictures? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ms Shah, I hope u and ms Lesia had a great time in Ipoh :)
    I couldn't find your Facebook :/
    Last but not least thank you for teaching us for a week. It's a week that I will never forget ��
    Hope to see you again ��
    With love,Kantiya Jaikwang

    ReplyDelete